LETS GET MOVING! Healthy Community Design Summit
Featuring Mark Fenton, nationally known expert on creating healthy communities.Tuesday, February 3, 2015, Clarion Inn, Garden City, Kansas
Posted by Finney County Community Health Coalition on 1/5/2015
Join us for a full day of enthusiasm and information to help build communities that support a healthier, more physically active population and more sustainable and enjoyable lifestyles. Mark Fenton is a public health, planning, and transportation consultant who is trying to help America find its way to more active and more livable cities, towns, and neighborhoods. He works with organizations and communities around the country to build environments, policies, and programsthat help to create places where more people walk, bicycle, and take transit more of the time. And its not just about healthier people. Done well, active community designs lead to economically, environmentally, and socially thriving cities, towns, and rural settings where people of all ages, abilities, and incomes lead long, vibrant lives.
Tuesday, February 3, 2015 - Summit Schedule
- 6:00 - 7:00 a.m.Fun Run/Walk along the Bonnie Talley Trail.Participants receive a t-shirt. Please meet at the Clarion Inn – in the pool area for details at 5:45 a.m.
- 7:30 Registration opens
- 8:30 - 9:45 Mark Fenton, Keynote:Key Principles of Healthy Community Design
- 9:45 a.m. Healthy break, vendor booths outside the ballroom
- 10:00 - 11:30 Panel discussion – State-wide success stories moderated by Mark Fenton
- 11:30 - noon Mary Marrow, Attorney, Public Health Law Center, Implementation:Ready, Aim, Implement
- noon - 12:55 p.m.Lunch in ballroom.Participants move to break out sessions at Sleep Inn (next door to Clarion) by 1:oo p.m.
- 1:00 - 3:00 Breakout Sessions (held in the basement of Sleep Inn, next door to Clarion)Each 55 minutes session will be offered twice. Mim McKenzie, Director of Community Development, Wichita YMCA- Energizing Your Community Scott Wituk, Executive Director Center for Community Support and Research- Partnerships for Change. Mary Marrow, Attorney, Public Health Law Center- Building Sustainability Into Your Healthy Community. Blythe Thomas, Communications Director Ks Health Foundation- Messaging and Media Partnerships - Tell Your Story
- Healthy break, vendor booths outside the ballroom, 3:30 - 4:30, Facilitated Community Team Work Session; Community Action Plans
- Mark Fenton, Wrap Up
- 5:30 - 7:00, Building Connections Reception, Garden Terrace, Clarion Inn
- Cost to attend Tuesday, February 3rd Summit - $40
- Limited seating. Please register early
- Registration deadline is Wednesday, January 28th
- The Summit will be held at the Clarion Inn, Garden City. A block of rooms will be held until January 20th, at $119 per night. Phone (620) 275-7471 to reserve a room under the name- LiveWell Summit.
Attire: Business Casual - meeting rooms can vary in temperature, we recommend bringing a jacket. Weather in February can be unpredictable, cold weather gear is recommended if you plan to participate in walk audit workshop or fun/run walk. Please remember to bring athletic shoes and gear to take advantage of the fitness facilities in Garden City.
Transportation: If you don't want to drive, Garden City is served by Amtrak and by American Airlines.
- To register for the Summit send completed form and check to: LiveWell Finney County, 310 E Walnut, Suite 202, Garden City, Ks 67846 or email registration form to: email@example.com Fax: 620-765-1186
- Cost: $40 (covers lunch and breaks) thanks to our INCREDIBLE sponsors! Please call Pat Veesart at 620-765-1181 with any questions.
- Finney County Community Health Coalition
- Western Kansas Community Foundation
- Finnup Foundation
- Kansas Health Foundation
- St. Catherine Hospital
- City of Garden City
- Finney County Convention and Visitors Burea