Hispanic College Institute June 2018
Fort Hays State University Hispanic College Institute
Posted by FHSU Higher Education Opportunity Center on 2/24/2016
Fort Hays State University's Hispanic College Institute is a free*, four-day, residential program that prepares high school Hispanic students to enter and succeed in higher education.
Where: Fort Hays State University
When: June 20-23, 2018
Who: Hispanic high school sophomores (Class of 2020) or juniors (Class of 2019)
The program is based on research and input from Hispanic educators and community leaders, and much of the content is delivered by Hispanics who can relate to the students' experiences and challenges.
HCI students will:
- Live on FHSU's beautiful campus
- Learn about the importance of going to college
- Learn about the college admission process
- Get help writing a college application essay
- Improve public speaking, presentation and interviewing skills
- Learn how to navigate financial aid and FAFSA application processes
- Engage with Hispanic leaders, mentors and role models, and discover how they made their college and career choices
- Meet with FHSU admissions and financial aid representatives
- Compete for a variety of scholarships
The program provides free transportation, food and lodging.
*Note: Once a student is accepted into the program, they will be required to pay a $10 reservation fee, but this fee will be returned to the student upon arrival at the institute.
Students who attend the Hispanic College Institute will not only learn about-and get excited about-college, but they'll also have fun as they make new friends from all over Kansas and surrounding states..
How to Apply
Apply soon, as we still have a limited number of spots available. To be eligible, a student must:
- Have a 2.5 GPA or above;
- Be a current Hispanic high school sophomore (Class of 2020) or junior (Class of 2019).
To apply, follow the instructions on the HCI Application Page.
Deadline: Sunday, April 1, 2018
For more information: www.fhsu.edu/hci